Spiriteds, I may need an intervention. I discovered the delicious oregano/cumin combo when I made Paleo Cauliflower Rice Tacos, and now I can’t stop adding it to ALL THE THINGS. Omigod, to say it’s a delicious marriage of two spices is an understatement. Today I added it to this Southwestern Quinoa Bacon Breakfast Bowl, and now I cannot even with how tantalizing it is.
Every time I take a bite of quinoa and bacon, I feel like I should be eating breakfast with Robert Mitchum and John Wayne. Because this is how I envision their breakfasts looked, although I suspect they weren’t gluten-free or dairy-free. 😂 The Gram introduced me to westerns way back in the day, and I’ve had an affinity for them ever since. Westward the Women, anyone? Perhaps She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, El Dorado, or The Sons of Katie Elder? Admittedly, a few of those wouldn’t likely stand the cultural test of time. But I give The Gram credit for trying. Also, John Wayne’s movies are always better with a bowl of popcorn in hand.
This Southwestern Quinoa Bacon Breakfast Bowl may be a mouthful to say, however each syllable is worth every bite. And I’m not going to lie, I had reservations about matching oregano, cumin, and quinoa with one another. But, it turns out, they work extremely well together! I did discover a few tricks, though, to bring out the robust flavor, because, let’s face it, there are A LOT of flavors happening in this dish.
- Add the cumin and oregano in increments. I LOVE oregano, so admittedly, I went a little crazy with it here. But you might want a milder flavor or a different balance. So I suggest adding a little cumin and then a little oregano, incrementally, until you have the flavor you want. You might end up with more spice than I used or less. But, either way, your dish will taste amazing!
- Add a little olive oil (or a little bacon grease), if the quinoa dries out. Yes, I totally added a little bacon grease to my quinoa because why not? Since it was freakishly out-of-this-world good in Texas-Style Maple Bacon Muffins, why not try it now? Bacon grease makes everything taste better!
- Set aside a few bacon crumbles for a delicious topping. There is something about a crispy, crumbly bacon topping that makes everything right in the world, and this recipe is no different. Oh, and if you use a little extra bacon than is suggested here, well, your tastebuds won’t be sad.
- Use ripe, but not too ripe, avocados. Like Lemon Avocado Dip, this is one recipe that relies on primo fresh avocados. If they aren’t ripe enough, the flavor will taste “off.” Too ripe and it will taste bitter.
- Add an egg or two or four. If you want to take your Southwestern Quinoa Bacon Breakfast Bowl up a notch, then DO THIS. I love my eggs over easy, and I add one egg per serving.
A delightful, savory twist on quinoa, K-Hubs and I devoured our Southwestern Quinoa Bacon Breakfast Bowls, while the girls proclaimed, “We LOVE the bacon!” Quinoa is nothing if not an acquired taste in our house. 😊 But the truth is, the girls were totally right about the bacon. I started out with just a few pieces. WHYYYY? Why would I waste our time like that? Who am I kidding? I ended on a whole package that is anywhere from about 8-10 pieces, and I’m standing by it. If your package of bacon includes more slices, then just GO WITH IT because crispy bacon makes EVERYTHING better.
It’s time to spoon up and Netflix, Spiriteds!
Southwestern Quinoa Bacon Breakfast Bowl
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 2 large or 4 regular servings 1x
- 4 cups cooked quinoa
- 8–10 slices crispy-fried bacon, crumbled
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 cup green onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2–4 eggs, over easy
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions.
- While quinoa is cooking, fry bacon to a crispy consistency.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cooked quinoa, crumbled bacon, diced avocado, and green onion with oregano, cumin, and sea salt.
- For best results, serve immediately and then consume leftovers within 24 hours.