Happy New Year, friends! How are you? Where are you? Have you resurfaced from the mêlée of the holidays? We have. I’m a big fan of New Year’s. The promise of a new year to try new endeavors is always reassuring to me.
Pull up a chair, grab a cup of tea, and let’s dish!
WHAT WE’RE EATING
K-Hubs and I are dining on Garlic Seared Scallops and Garlic Chicken Stir-Fry like it’s our job. But I’m also returning to some tried-and-true recipes, like Dairy-Free Creamy Avocado Pesto Zoodle Bowl and Triple Berry Power Smoothie.
It was our turn to host Christmas this year. We alternate with my cousin since we’re both the most centrally-located in our extended family. I admit I love this arrangement because there isn’t extensive discussion about who’s hosting. Instead we get into extensive conversations about who’s bringing which snacks. And we made all sorts of delicious treats to share. Some were family-favorites from Christmases past that would never make it to the blog because they’re full of gluten and dairy. But my extended family members enjoy them, so it’s nice to offer up something nostalgic.
We also offered up recipes that are on the blog. And you know, I think they went over pretty well. Especially the Cranberry Pomegranate Margaritas. My family has good taste. 😊 And I love them dearly. You know you’ve lived a good life when you, your aunt, and your cousins huddle in a corner with alcohol and start telling ALL THE STORIES. K-Hubs and I also served up:
- No-Bake Chocolate Almond Butter Truffles
- The Best Paleo Thanksgiving Stuffing (K-Hubs chowed down on this in November and December)
It was a joyful Christmas, and the verdict is in. The girls want another Christmas tree ladder next year. 😂
STEAM TOYS FOR CHILDREN
For Christmas, the girls got STEAM toys, STEAM toys, and more STEAM toys. They love constructing, painting, drawing, and experimenting. The girls also love vibrant colors and intellectually stimulating activities. Below are a few of our favorites.
- Mental Blox. Don’t let its small size fool you. These 3-D building shapes come with challenge cards with varying levels of complexity. K-Hubs and I joined the girls in several challenges, and I personally find the activity downright calming. I could play with Mental Blox on my own and never tire.
- GEOSmart magnetic building blocks. From the bright colors to the external magnetic pieces, the girls have had a blast playing with these. And the set pairs fairly well with magnetic building toys from other brands. Also Twinkle’s beloved prize mini fox got a new home. Blink and you’ll miss it!
- Magnaformers. Twinkle has constructed entire towns out of these, along with homes for her miniature dolls and racetracks for her cars.
I’m no longer surprised by how entertained the girls are with building toys. The open-ended play features keep them intellectually stimulated for hours on end.
Friends, I am sending you positive vibes for a wonderful 2019! And if there are some delicious recipes in there or a few moments to yourself to unwind, then so much the better! ❤️