Chicken, vegetables, spices, and a crockpot, and, voila, you have a Paleo Chicken and Cauliflower Rice Soup dinner recipe right at your fingertips!
Oops, I did it again. The blog went without an update for a week and a half. But can I just say, these students? They are so awesome. And we have just one more week of exams and finals (yes, both), and then we say our bittersweet good-byes. I’m already reminding myself I have this blog and you to come back to because I am already missing them and they aren’t even gone.
Bless this mess.
It was an emotional semester. These students talked about DAPL, the election, and so many other issues facing us today. And this was a business marketing class. We covered ALL THE THINGS. Also, have I mentioned how much I am going to miss them?
So now let me cry into my soup, this comforting, savory blend of a soup. Yes, if you need a warm bowl of dinner on a cold winter’s night, then Paleo Chicken Cauliflower Rice Soup has your back.
Spiriteds, it will warm your heart. I’d go so far as to say your soul. Yes, for real, Paleo Chicken and Cauliflower Rice Soup will warm the innards and fill your belly. It’s the answer to winter’s call. It’s also a wonderful way to get your vegetables for the day. I mean, cauliflower in place of rice? Yes, please. Carrots and red onions? Don’t mind if I do. Chicken and homemade broth? Is there any other way?
We are putting our face in this with bated breath as we await each Murdoch Mystery episode to see if William and Julia will finally get together. Willia is the will they or won’t they of the turn of the century. 1901 doesn’t even know what’s about to hit it.
But, I digress.
Have I even gotten to the part about the crockpot? Because you make this soup by way of the crockpot, better known in our house as the only cooking utensil I use from mid December through March 30th.
That’s right, you basically throw all these mouthwatering ingredients into the crockpot and cook on medium for 6 hours. I choose to complicate matters a little by adding the cauliflower later in the process when there are approximately 90 minutes left. Ooh, and another best part? You don’t have to precook the chicken. Instead, just throw it in with the rest of the food and let everything cook together.
Precooking the chicken is frequently a deal breaker for me. Often because I am lazy. Mostly because I have two littles who want dinner five minutes ago and also want me to sit with them and read a book. I’d much rather do that than stand at a skillet, flipping the chicken (that sounds like an expletive) every 1-2 minutes. Girl time for the win. The fewer the steps the better in my cookbook, and Paleo Chicken and Cauliflower Rice Soup doesn’t have many steps. It’s ready to do the work by itself while you go live life. That’s mind kind of soup.
A few questions came to mind while I made this, which I will share with you now, in case they are questions you also have.
- To keep or toss the bay leaves? That is the question. I say “keep.” I kept mine in the soup until we have devoured all of it. The leaves add to the fragrant flavor.
- What size should one make the cauliflower? I like the finished product to resemble rice. However, I don’t want my cauliflower to be mushy. So I chop the cauliflower florets into pieces slightly larger than granules of rice. That way, after they cook, they aren’t completely disintegrated.
- What about the green onion? Should one throw it in the crockpot from the start or wait awhile? Ah, yes, the green onion, nature’s flavor. I add the green onion at the same time I add the cauliflower.
- If one doesn’t have bone broth, then what? If you don’t have bone broth on hand, then you can simply use water. My mother-in-law is famous for making THE MOST AMAZING SOUPS with water as the base. Add more spices to suit your palate. You can also use store-bought from a can, however keep an eye on the flavor. The amount of spices and seasonings in this recipe assume a homemade broth with less sodium. You can also make your own broth using this recipe, which also uses a crockpot, if you are so inclined.
- Does one add a little extra salt and pepper? I added more to individual servings to get the exact taste I wanted in that particular moment. You do you, and you won’t be wrong.
This Paleo Chicken and Cauliflower Rice Soup is just a little bit of heaven right at your fingertips.
- 2½ cups chicken broth (see link in bullet points or click on the picture above for the Spirited recipe)
- 1 cup water
- 1 lb chicken, uncooked and cut into strips
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- ½ cup red onion, diced
- 2 tsp thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Dash of pepper
- 2 cups cauliflower, chopped (see bullet points above for size suggestions)
- ¼ cup green onion, sliced
- Combine broth, water, chicken, carrots, celery, red onion, thyme, and bay leaves in crockpot and cook on medium for about 6 hours.
- With about 60-90 minutes cook time remaining, add chopped cauliflower and green onions.
- Store any remaining soup in glass jars in the fridge for a few days or store in freezer-safe jars for long-term freezer storage.