Chicken, vegetables, spices, a crockpot, and, voila, you have a Paleo Chicken and Cauliflower Rice Soup dinner recipe right at your fingertips!
If you need a warm bowl of dinner on a cold, windy night, then Paleo Chicken and Cauliflower Rice Soup has your back. It will warm your heart for sure. And I’d go so far as to say it will warm your soul. Yes, for real, Paleo Chicken and Cauliflower Rice Soup will warm the innards and fill your belly. It’s the answer to cold weather’s call. It’s also a wonderful way to get your vegetables for the day. I mean, cauliflower in place of rice? Yes, please. And carrots with red onions, chicken, and homemade broth? Exactly where do I sign up? Also, no, I’m not asking for a friend.
K-Hubs and I are putting our faces in this soup with bated breath as we go old-school and watch Murdoch Mysteries on DVD, catching the next episode to see what William and Julia find themselves in now. “Willia” is the will they, won’t they of the turn of the century. 1903 doesn’t even know what’s hit it. We’re a few seasons behind, if you couldn’t already tell.
But, I digress.
There are so many reasons to love Paleo Chicken and Cauliflower Rice Soup. However, aside from chicken and vegetables, the fact that it’s prepared in a slow cooker, might take the proverbial cake. It’s a prep-and-forget-about-it kind of recipe, which makes this soup the perfect meal for busy, on-the-go days. If you don’t have a lot of time after work to enjoy a meal, then this is your go-to recipe. Paleo Chicken and Cauliflower Rice Soup is hearty without being overbearing, and the flavors are tantalizing.
That’s right, you basically throw all these mouthwatering ingredients into the slow cooker and cook on medium for 6 hours. I choose to complicate matters a little by adding the cauliflower later in the process when there are approximately 60-90 minutes left. Ooh, and another best part? You don’t have to precook the chicken. Instead, just throw it in with the rest of the food and let everything cook together.
This delicious, warming, bountiful soup really is the stuff hearty meals are made of. It’s also perfect for chilly nights and warm holidays, too! So let’s warm our souls with batches of our own!
INGREDIENTS FOR PALEO CHICKEN AND CAULIFLOWER RICE SOUP:
Below are the ingredients you will need to make your own batch of Paleo Chicken and Cauliflower Rice Soup:
- Homemade broth. You can prepare your own Homemade Bone Broth or Homemade Vegetable Broth. Additionally, you can also use water in place of broth, if you need to.
- Chicken. Thawed or frozen, I just throw the cubed pieces into the slow cooker and let the ingredients do their thing.
- Chopped or sliced vegetables. Think carrots, celery, red onion, green onion, and cauliflower.
- Herbs and seasonings. I like thyme, bay leaves, sea salt, and coarse black pepper.
HOW TO MAKE PALEO CHICKEN AND CAULIFLOWER RICE SOUP:
If you are nervous about making your own Paleo Chicken and Cauliflower Rice Soup, the read on because the process is quite simple!
- First, combine the water, broth, chicken, carrots, celery, red onion, thyme, and bay leaves in a slow cooker. Then set the slow cooker to six hours.
- Next, when there are about 60-90 minutes left of cooking time, add the chopped cauliflower and green onions. Stir evenly so the cauliflower and onions are immersed in the soup.
- When the six hours are up, let the soup cool for a few minutes before serving. If you want to eat your soup sooner, then add a few small ice cubes to your serving.
- Finally, store any remaining soup in the refrigerator for about 3-4 days.
BEST PRACTICES FOR MAKING PALEO CHICKEN AND CAULIFLOWER RICE SOUP:
If you have never made Paleo Chicken Cauliflower Soup, then keep reading for a few best practices:
- Bay leaves: I say keep. I kept mine in the soup until we have devoured all of it because the leaves add to the fragrant flavor.
- Cauliflower size: I chop the cauliflower florets into pieces slightly larger than granules of rice. That way, after they cook, the cauliflower isn’t completely disintegrated. The process per batch is about 5-6 pulses in my little chopper. If you have a larger head of cauliflower, then add more broth if needed.
- Broth: If you don’t have bone broth on hand, then you can simply use water. My mother-in-law is famous for making THE MOST AMAZING SOUPS with water as the base, so it can be done! Add more broth/water for a thinner soup.
This Paleo Chicken and Cauliflower Rice Soup is just a little bit of heaven right at your fingertips.
- 2½ cups chicken broth (see link in bullet points or click on the picture above for the Spirited recipe)
- 1 cup water
- 1 lb chicken, uncooked and cut into strips
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- ½ cup red onion, diced
- 2 tsp thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Dash of pepper
- 2 cups cauliflower, chopped (see bullet points above for size suggestions)
- ¼ cup green onion, sliced
- Combine broth, water, chicken, carrots, celery, red onion, thyme, and bay leaves in crockpot. Then cook on medium for about 6 hours.
- Next, with about 60-90 minutes cook time remaining, add chopped cauliflower and green onions.
- Store any remaining soup in glass jars in the fridge for a few days.