Spiriteds, I have absolutely no idea where to start with today’s recipe. Do I start with the fact that the girls loved their Homemade Mini Paleo Tortillas so much they immediately asked for another batch and then promptly ate them? Or should I start with the the part where I was nervous about making the tortillas only to find the process rather simple? In fact, on that last one, I made so many batches for the girls, I discovered all sorts of best practices for mastering this recipe (read on to discover them, too). Perhaps I should share the part where these tortillas taste delicious with hamburger, lettuce, tomatoes, onion, and cilantro.
How about all of the above? Because Homemade Mini Paleo Tortillas are all of those things and so much more. Gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, and grain-free, they are proof that a healthy, whole foods lifestyle doesn’t mean you have to give up the good stuff. Food can still be fun and still be healthy.
These Homemade Mini Paleo Tortillas are so versatile, I ended up making at least three, maybe four, batches. I can’t be sure. It’s also possible that I cut into one right on the work surface and then just kept eating, sans plate. K-Hubs was #samsies. And I don’t use the hashtag #samsies lightly, or sometimes even at all. But it’s apropos here, and we’re going with it. The truth is, if you are looking for light and crispy Homemade Paleo Mini Tortillas, done. If you want fluffy, chewy tortillas, this recipe can do that, too. It’s all in how you pour the batter.
So let’s talk about that.
For light, crispy tortillas, do the following.
- Although you’ll let the batter sit for about 1-2 minutes to allow all the ingredients to blend, you don’t want it to get too thick. If it does, add a little more olive oil. The batter should be a little runny. Continue whisking every now and then while frying the tortillas to keep the batter smooth.
- Fill a 1/4 measuring cup about halfway with batter. Add more only if absolutely necessary (for example, if there is a hole in the batter in the skillet).
- Keep the skillet on a low to no more than medium temperature. The minute the batter hits the skillet it will start to cook. If the temp is too high, it will fry just as it is in the pan, which will be most likely a blob.
- Once you pour the batter into the pan, swish the pan around in your hand in a circular motion. This allows the batter to spread and thin out.
- After removing the tortilla from the pan, place it on a napkin or paper towel on a plate to absorb any excess moisture. Do this for all remaining tortillas.
If, however, you’d like a thicker, chewier tortilla, try these tricks.
- Let the batter sit for at least two minutes. While you might need to stir every now and then during the frying process, you won’t have to eye it as much because, courtesy of the coconut flour, it will thicken naturally on its own.
- Fill a 1/4 measuring cup to the top with batter. More batter per tortilla usually leads to thicker tortillas.
- Turn the heat up on the skillet, closer to medium. As you our the mixture, the batter will immediately start cooking. This will create a thicker conscience because the batter won’t have as much time to spread.
- As you flip the tortillas in the skillet, frying both sides, do NOT pat down on the tortillas unless absolutely necessary (for example, if they aren’t frying evenly).
- You may still want to place the tortillas on a napkin, but that’s totally up to you.
Regardless of the desired consistency, I discovered that rather than focus on the number of minutes you are frying the tortillas, focus more on how well they are cooking through. For example, I didn’t automatically flip my tortillas to fry the other side after a certain number of minutes. Because the batter has a mind of its own, I only flipped the tortillas over to fry the other side once I could easily slide my spatula underneath it and get a good hold.
After making your Homemade Mini Paleo Tortillas, serve immediately or keep in a warm oven until ready to serve. Top your tortillas with meats, veggies, herbs, and even fruit (think avocado or tomatoes). Or do what the girls did. Eat them by themselves. These Homemade Mini Paleo Tortillas are just that good!
Homemade Mini Paleo Tortillas
- Prep Time: 7 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 22 mins
- Yield: 6 mini tortillas 1x
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon coconut flour
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, melted coconut oil, and olive oil.
- Add almond flour, coconut flour, and sea salt and continue whisking until blended. Let stand for 1-2 minutes.
- In a small skillet, pour batter into skillet, preparing one tortilla at a time, flipping approximately 1-2 times or until tortillas are cooked through. (Please see bulleted lists above to determine desired consistency and necessary steps).
- Place on a napkin/paper towel-lined plate or place in warm oven until ready to serve.
Add a pinch of two of your favorite spices, seasonings, or dried herbs for added flavor!