Is it soup season yet? Because I am ALL IN if it is, thanks to this Dairy-Free Creamy Cauliflower Soup. It’s the stuff delicious, comforting fall dinners are made of. It’s the perfect dairy-free, gluten-free, paleo soup recipe to kickoff the fall season.
Also, people talk about swimsuit bodies and sweater bodies, and I’m over here wondering if soup bodies are an actual thing. If they aren’t, then there’s a new club in town, and perhaps I’m the first and only member. But just whatever, man, because at our first meeting we’re gonna put our faces in a vat of this. Then we’ll congratulate ourselves on eating an actual vegetable and living our best lives.
So about this Dairy-Free Creamy Cauliflower Soup. The title might give a few things away. It has cauliflower. It has a creamy texture. And it’s entirely dairy-free. This is how we do comforting soups, Spiriteds. What the title doesn’t tell you is that this soup comes with the MOST AMAZING ALL CAPS concoction of ingredients: SAUTÉED CAULIFLOWER.
And I’m dead.
Rollin’ right off the couch, straight into the casket, and I cannot even.
Because if a dairy-free soup feels like a straight-up comfort food while also including vegetables, and then those vegetables are sautéed in a roux-like mixture, I want it all. As in, sharing is caring and sharing is hard.
I cannot tell you enough about this roux. But let me try. It is made with:
- Coconut oil
- Sea salt
- Almond flour
Seriously, this sautéed delight is so good I am working up an entirely separate recipe comprised of nothing more than, you guessed it, these ingredients. They are honestly that good together. You can even set a few pieces aside to use as a topping for your Dairy-Free Creamy Cauliflower Soup, or you can garnish with pepper, parsley flakes, finely sliced green onions, or any other herbs and veggies you desire. We do a little bit of everything with ours, plop on the couch, and watch sports, Mystery Science Theater 3000, Murdoch Mysteries, or The Saint (the old tv series with Roger Moore – so good!) on the weekends once the girls are asleep. It’s one I like to enjoy straight out of the blender, while it’s still warm and that roasted roux is still in its prime.
I was inspired by a few recipes when I was dreaming this beauty up! Namely, Ali’s delectable-looking Creamy Cauliflower Soup over at Gimme Some Oven, and Roasted Cauliflower Soup over at Damn Delicious. Today’s recipe has been paleo-ized, made dairy-free, and is vegan-friendly. So there you have it. Several yummo recipes to inspire your fall soup body. 🙂
If I may, I think one of the best things about Dairy-Free Creamy Cauliflower Soup (aside from the sautéed magic mentioned above) is that it’s filling without being heavy. It’s creamy without being dairy. It’s healthy without feeling boring. Okay, that’s technically more than one other thing. But, it’s true. There’s lots to love about this recipe. And it’s the perfect way to savor a Saturday night in autumn.
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 6 cloves garlic, pressed
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 2 heads cauliflower, chopped into tiny florets
- 2½ cups bone broth (paleo) or vegetable broth (vegan or paleo)
- 2 cups almond milk
- Combine coconut oil, pressed garlic, and sea salt in a large sauté pan and sauté on medium heat for about 5-7 minutes, or until the garlic begins to brown. Add diced onion and continue to sauté for another 3-5 minutes, or until onions are translucent. Add almond flour to the pan and stir until blended.
- Carefully pour cauliflower florets into sauté pan, a little at a time, carefully stirring the mixture over the florets so they are evenly coated. It may take several minutes of stirring and folding to coat the florets evenly. This is a patient step.
- Pour broth over mixture and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Transfer soup, in batches (see notes), from the sauté pan to a blender, add almond milk, and blend until smooth. Garnish with salt and pepper as desired. ENJOY!
Today’s Dairy-Free Creamy Cauliflower Soup was inspired by Creamy Cauliflower Soup over at Gimme Some Oven and Roasted Cauliflower Soup over at Damn Delicious.